Monday, October 22, 2012

What I learned at the WD West Conference

I attended the Writers Digest West Conference at the Loew's in Hollywood on Saturday. Since two conferences were going on simultaneously, the Screenwriters and the (non-screen) Writers, it was a terribly difficult decision on which conference to attend. Since things are (presently) moving along on The Cullings Principle screenplay, I opted for the novel writing. 

I met some wonderful people there, fellow writers, published and unpublished, screenwriters and not, whose careers I'm eager to watch unfold. 

A fellow writer always sends a "What I learned..." email to us after attending a film festival, so I thought I'd pick up her tradition. So, this is what I've gained from it:
  1. I'm doing all the things the speakers are telling us to do - except maybe blogging more (guess why you're reading this)
  2. I anticipate that being published and produced is literally around the corner (see #1)
  3. I avoided all the drunk people (see Dee's lists) by attending a day conference - though I have my doubts about a few folks...
  4. Driving 7 hours round trip can make one hallucinate
  5. Don't hallucinate when traveling the labyrinth from event to event - I'm pretty sure there were a few of us who entered another dimension when we turned left instead of right
  6. Don't eat the mints the conference puts on the tables unless you love surprises
  7. Since my humor is as snarky as many of the speakers', I may have a shot at more speaking engagements (clarification: snarky = good)
  8. Speaking engagements pay (so I'm told...)
  9. You can make instant friends in the agent pitching lines because everyone feels like the lobster about to be dropped into the boiling pot!
  10. "Breathe" is a common reminder in a pitching line (see #9)
  11. Wolfgang Puck's food tastes much better in his restaurants; apples are too healthy for most people (I am excluded here)
  12. Hollywood is often foggy and drizzly - what they don't tell you on the red carpet
  13. You have a 33% chance at choosing a workshop you don't need (see #1)
  14. It's better to memorize your speech or ad lib rather than just reading it (see #7)
  15. Men in funny hats may not necessarily be funny
  16. Men in period costume may not necessarily be time-travelers (but they may be funny)
  17. The space-time continuum is disrupted in pitching sessions: 3 minutes turns into 10 minutes when you're waiting; 3 minutes turns into 10 seconds when you're pitching
  18. The WD staff is really awesome!
  19. Most writers are really nice and will give of themselves (as in expertise, mind out of gutter please!) eagerly, willingly and happily!
Thanks for tuning into this episode of "What I learned..."

2 comments:

Yolanda Renée said...

Loved your list, can't wait to hear more. I mean fodder for your blogging right? #1

Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

I suscribe to #4!
Dee Landau