Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Musings on Rejection Letters

Emailing my best friend, I wrote her this note answering to another rejection letter from a literary agent.

My rejection pile is growing. Since I am under 50 rejections, I'm really just a newbie, aren't I?


Option 1: I totally suck at writing and am living in some sort of delusion others are helping propel.
Option 2: I'm writing in a genre and/or style no one on earth wants to publish anymore.
Option 3: I've entered a parallel world in which I'm not allowed to get published.
Option 4: I'm brilliant and, because I'm in the third parallel world, no one will notice.
Option 5: I have nothing to lose [and will keep submitting].

1 comment:

Christine Autrand Mitchell said...

Here is what my best friend wrote in retort:

There may be other alternates: your writing style is extremely specific and literary and most people are too lazy to invest the time; most people have such short attention spans now that if you don't lay out the plot and complete descriptions within the first two pages, they are lost or...yes, you just follow up with option 5 (or was it 6) and keep submitting because you have nothing to lose (except for the postage, of course).