Saturday, July 31, 2010

D&D - Part 2 (A Village Affair)

Magically my screenplay is at 105 pages. It's in the magic range - nothing over 110 pages please. (Wait until I try and get my miniseries sold - well over 200 pages, my dears!)

So I've added some scenes to flesh out Dane, the protagonist, and also to reinforce his relationships with fellow characters, like Janey, his housemate, and Boy (he has no name until the end) who cusses like a sailor at age 11.

After all, it's Dane's affair with a village and its people. I've also had to add some material about being shocked out of his comfort zone and belief system, so some setups were required there.

I've been having some serious deja-vu over this story, specifically when it involves the town chosen as the setting. I've driven its streets, you know, walked its footpaths, I'm even spelling British style again! I feel that when Dane walks the streets, I know where he's headed because I know what the buildings look like, what footsteps sound like on the road, what the air smells like near Cinnamon Bear as opposed to the Memorial, or even the A6 through town!

Now the Business Plan is next - no small feat but it wouldn't be the first one (thank goodness, no learning curve) and this time it'll be on the Mac to make it look pleasing as well. There's a list of films that are "like it" and once the script manager or agent comes into this, I'm certain it will be easier. However, I will not rely on that.

If I'd waited around for anyone's help, I'd still be in the corporate world inside a windowless cubicle, deep inside a stale office building, where the only faces one sees are those one meets on the elevator going up (dreary) or going down (happy to get out).

Onward and upward! In my head this film is planned down to the shot, so why wouldn't it come off the ground as planned?!

2 comments:

Robynn's Ravings said...

It feels to me as though it's already done. Can't wait to hear the news that it's happening and get to know the characters fully!

Robin Elizabeth said...

Innumerable thank yous for letting me be a part of this, and for allowing the creative part of my soul to live again (it was getting a tad dusty).